Work With Us
Interested in working with Kimberley Aboriginal people to make a difference? The KLC offers a range of rewarding careers and the chance to work in a dynamic and challenging environment. We provide a great working culture that includes a number of generous employee benefits.
Senior Legal Officer
An exciting opportunity has presented itself within our Legal team in Broome as a Senior Legal Officer for an initial 24 month period, with likely extension.
Under the direction of the Principal Legal Officer, participate in a team of legal practitioners and other KLC staff and consultants, to ensure the effective delivery of legal services to the Kimberley Land Council (“KLC”) and to Native Title Groups throughout the Kimberley region of Western Australia.
- Provide legal advice to Native Title Prescribed Bodies Corporate (PBCs) in respect of governance and compliance requirements as well as future act matters and Indigenous Land Use Agreements (ILUAs).
- Liaise with internal and external stakeholders including PBC’s and the KLC’s Native Title Services Team to ensure that PBCs comply with governance requirements
- Facilitate the development of policies and processes in order for PBC’s to be compliant with relevant legislation.
- Attend claimant meetings, often in remote locations, to obtain instructions and to provide information and advice to claimants;
- Assist in the representation of Native Title Holders in proceedings before the National Native Title Tribunal and the Federal Court and in negotiations with regard to proposals for the use, development and acquisition of land (e.g. future act matters);
- Undertake research on legal and policy issues, in particular in relation to PBCs and other related native title issues;
- Escalate serious and sensitive matters where appropriate and make recommendations for continuous improvement
- Management of Legal staff when required.
Please address the selection criteria in your application
- Have demonstrated experience in one or more of the following areas; native title law, property law, land management, environmental law, contract law, mining law, company law or the Aboriginal Heritage Act;
- Eligible for admission as a Barrister or Solicitor through one of the State Registration boards;
- Demonstrated experience in the jurisdiction of Federal Courts and tribunals;
Possess good communication skills and the capacity to liaise effectively at all levels with members of the public including community groups and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people;
- Ability to manage a small team of Legal staff
- Strong time management skills as well as exceptional attention to detail
- Preparedness to travel in the course of work, including by air; and
- Possess a current driver’s license.
Indigenous candidates are encouraged to apply:
An attractive salary package (base salary between $82000 to $97000) with significant benefits including 5 weeks annual leave, relocation allowance, leave loading, district allowance, rental subsidy, air conditioning subsidy, an annual airfare (subject to qualifying period) and the option to salary sacrifice up to $15,889 per annum will be offered to the successful candidates..
Salary and Benefits: Executive Level 1
How to apply:
To be considered you will need to send in a copy of your resume, cover letter and addressed selection criteria. Applications are to be made through seek: https://www.seek.com.au/job/34984046
Applications must be received prior to COB 15 December 2017.
We reserve the right to commence recruitment proceedings immediately and to close this advertisement early should a candidate be located.
Download Senior Legal Officer Duty Statement Here